Keeping one's hair while undergoing chemotherapy can help liberate a patient emotionally and physically from the "cancer patient" label and improve self-image, dignity and morale – vital, yet often overlooked, elements of overall wellness.
You can help support the cause, too. By joining the effort, spreading the word or donating to The Rapunzel Project, you'll be a part of helping chemotherapy patients look and feel better.
How we did it:
- After we learned about cold caps and Shirley's doctor approved their use, we realized we needed a biomedical freezer to make the process manageable
- We emailed the story to friends and affiliated groups, raising over $7,000
- Our local hospital agreed to collect donations for us through their foundation, making all donations tax deductible
- The hospital and doctors involved determined an appropriate location for the freezer
- The hospital then purchased the freezer, using the funds we raised
What our goals are now:
- We hope to raise awareness of the existence and efficacy of cold caps
- We will be using our resources, as available, to purchase additional biomedical freezers and further support cold cap use